Provides technical support of the repair, maintenance, installation and debugging of the software systems and equipment, including PLC, HMI, VFD, & IoT. Embraces the Lean Enterprise strategy and adheres to all safety policies.
Essential Duties and Percent of Time Spent:
- Performs or oversees installation of the software systems of the equipment at the customer’s site or remotely according to the sales order. Liaisons with the engineering development team as needed. Completes required documentation in an accurate and timely manner.
- Troubleshoots and resolves application-related issues/problems in customers’ facilities or remotely. Contacts other resources as needed to resolve issue/problem. Works with engineering on any necessary ECR driven by issues identified in the field. Inspects the systems of the equipment installed and generates documentation.
- Works closely with automation and control programmers to make changes and updates to equipment software as necessary. Maintains and secures tools, equipment, test devices, mobile devices and assigned service instrumentation.
- Trains customers in proper machine systems maintenance and operation of the entire product lines. Creates training aids for customers and fellow employees. Documents findings that improve quality and/or efficiency. Performs factory training classes directly to customers.
- Follows-up with customers on all open issues. Communicates opportunities to appropriate Regional Sales Managers. Works on process improvements with engineering dept. Reviews and maintains daily e-mail correspondence including field schedule updates.
- Enters daily notes in CRM (Customer Relationship Management) software. Enters time and activities into CRM software.
- Fills out bimonthly expense reports and time logs. Arranges travel, accommodations and contacts. Creates documentation as needed to share with fellow employees.
- Supports customers, engineering and internal sales staff on issues involving the software of products.
- Provides Help Desk Customer Support through documentation and by answering questions on problem solving of issues/problems.
- Conducts live equipment demonstrations. Assists at trade shows and demonstrate equipment features and benefits.
Performs other duties as assigned. Takes training courses as required staying current with new technology and OSHA safety standards. Provides information and promotes client products that will benefit customer’s operations as needed.
- 3-5 years working directly with automation controls (Mechatronics, Military, OEM, Integrator etc.)
Knowledge and Skills:
- B.S. in Computer Science/Software Engineering/Software Development
- Proficient in PLC’s, electrical controls and industrial communication networks. PLC knowledge should include programming skills for troubleshooting AB, Siemens platforms as well as VFD’s and IPC’s.
- Ability to read and understand electrical and pneumatic schematics.
- Knowledge of AC/DC voltage systems, both single and 3 phase systems.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and repair mechanical equipment and electrical controls.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and CRM
- Remote troubleshooting with VPN’s, IoT
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Effective communicator in writing and orally.
- Customer friendly personality.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 20% of the time, primarily domestically.
- Team Player.
- Extensive experience with PLC’s (preferably AB and Siemens)
- Solid technical and commercial experience, preferably in an OEM environment
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job is regularly required to sit, stand, and walk. Uses hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.